Are you planning to pursue a career in medicine or dentistry in Pakistan? If yes, you must prepare for the Medical and Dental College Admission Test (MDCAT) 2023. This is the national entrance exam for admission to Pakistan’s public and private medical and dental colleges. In this article, we will provide you with all the information you need to know about MDCAT 2023, including eligibility criteria, exam pattern, syllabus, registration process, exam schedule, and preparation tips.
What is MDCAT?
MDCAT stands for Medical and Dental College Admission Test. It was prepared with the support of the Pakistan Medical Commission (PMC), the governing organization for scientific and dentistry schooling and exercise in Pakistan. MDCAT is a mandatory requirement for admission to any medical or dental college in Pakistan that has notified quota seats. International medical and dental institutions also recognize MDCAT for admission of Pakistani students.
Who can apply for MDCAT?
Any person (Pakistani/Overseas Pakistani/Foreign National) who wants to pursue MBBS, BDS, or any other medicine-related bachelor degree program in Pakistan can apply for MDCAT. There is no age limit or domicile restriction for MDCAT applicants. However, there are some academic requirements that the applicants must fulfill:
- The applicants must have passed or appeared in the Intermediate/HSSC/FSc (Pre-Medical) or equivalent examination with at least 65% marks.
- The applicants who have completed or are studying A-levels or any other foreign qualification must submit an equivalence certificate issued by the Inter Board Committee of Chairmen (IBCC) with at least 65% marks.
- The applicants who have completed or are studying O-levels or any other foreign qualification must have passed at least eight subjects, including English, Biology, Chemistry, Physics/Mathematics.
How to register for MDCAT?
The registration process for MDCAT 2023 will start on August 8, 2023, and end on August 17, 2023. The applicants can register online through the PMC website by filling out an online application form and paying a non-refundable fee of Rs. 1500/- through any branch of Habib Bank Limited (HBL) or online banking. The applicants must also upload their recent passport-size photograph, CNIC/B-form/NICOP/passport number, and academic documents on the PMC website. After completing the registration process, the applicants will receive a confirmation email and SMS from PMC with their roll number slip and exam center details.
What is the exam pattern and syllabus of MDCAT?
MDCAT 2023 will be a computer-based examination performed in the English language. It will consist of 200 multiple-choice questions (MCQs) according to the following weightage:
|Subject||No. of MCQs|
The examination will last three hours and 30 minutes. There will be one mark for each question, and there will be no negative marking. The questions will be of the following difficulty level:
The cognition level of the questions will be as follows:
The syllabus for MDCAT 2023 is based on the topics covered in the FSc (Pre-Medical) curriculum of all the boards of intermediate and secondary education in Pakistan. The syllabus is available on the PMC website for download. The applicants are advised to prepare according to the syllabus rather than relying on any other source of information.
When and where will MDCAT be conducted?
MDCAT 2023 will be conducted from September 7, 2023, to September 30, 2023, at different dates and times across Pakistan and abroad. The exam will be conducted at 21 different locations nationally and in nine locations internationally. The national venues are as follows:
- DI Khan
- DG Khan
- Mirpur (AJK)
The international venues are as follows:
- Saudi Arabia
The applicants can choose their preferred exam center and date while registering for MDCAT. However, the final allocation of the exam center and date will be done by PMC on a first-come, first-served basis and subject to the availability of seats. The applicants will have to report to their assigned exam center at least one hour before the exam time with their original CNIC/B-form/NICOP/passport, roll number slip, and a black ballpoint pen.
What are the passing criteria and merit calculations for MDCAT?
The passing criteria for MDCAT 2023 are as follows:
65% (130 out of 200) for admission into medical colleges
55% (110 out of 200) for admission into dental colleges
The merit calculation for admission into public and private medical and dental colleges will be based on the following formula:
The applicants who have taken the MDCAT exam in 2021 and want to use their 2021 results for admission in 2022-23 can do so by using the equivalence score calculator available on the PMC website.
How to prepare for MDCAT?
MDCAT is a competitive exam that requires thorough preparation and practice. Here are some tips to help you ace MDCAT 2023:
- Please review the syllabus and exam pattern of MDCAT and plan your study schedule accordingly.
- Focus on biology, chemistry, physics, and English concepts and applications and revise them regularly.
- Solve past papers and mock tests of MDCAT to familiarize yourself with the question style and difficulty level.
- You can use online resources and books PMC recommends to help you prepare.
- Improve your time management and test-taking skills by practicing under simulated exam conditions.
- Stay updated with the latest news and announcements from PMC regarding MDCAT.
- Avoid stress and worry by taking care of your physical and mental health.
For aspiring medical and dentistry students in Pakistan, the MDCAT is a critical milestone. It is a challenging but rewarding exam that tests your knowledge, skills, and aptitude for medicine and dentistry. By following the guidelines in this article, you can prepare well for MDCAT 2023 and achieve your dream of becoming a doctor or a dentist. We wish you all the best for your MDCAT journey!